tlug: Compiling a generic kernel??

Hi,

I'm finalising my small linux system<1> for inclusion on the CDs, and
was wondering which options would I need to include for the kernel to be
as generic as possible.  Currently all it has is IDE support compiled
in, no SCSI drivers or anything.  The kernel is kernel 2.2.5 +
devfs-patch-96 (I might upgrade to 97).  As it stand now, there seems to
be a lot of system specific options in /etc also.  Should I just leave
them and let who ever is crazy enough to use this system in the first
place edit them when they install it?

Thanks,
Austin K. Kurahone

<1> It grew quite a bit over the last couple of days, I upgraded to
glibc 2.1, recompiled some stuff with -O6 (It caused the binaries to
grow) and installed some more user space stuff.  At this moment it's
hovering at around 200MB with no X.
*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691