tlug: Installing gcc?

    Darren> Can a normal user install gcc, e.g. into his own user
    Darren> directories? Or do you need to be root?

If you can configure and build it specifically for that installation,
you should have no problem.  If you want to install binaries compiled
elsewhere, it would likely be a real hassle as gcc uses lots of
auxiliary programs which are _not_ on the path, but have locations
hardcoded into gcc.  To a great extent this can be worked around using
the `-B' switch (in fact that is how the same gcc can be used for
multiple targets) but I don't know how successful that will be for
your application.  I think you would probably be OK with some trial
and error.

You will also have to install the GNU binutils in most cases.  gcc
outputs code targeted for gas, and GNU ld has features not available
on many system lds.  Finally, if you plan to build other GNU products,
you'll also most likely need GNU make, although I think Sun's make now
supports vpath to some degree, which is the most prominent feature of
GNU make that other makes don't have.

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691