Re: tlug: Not Linux but a UNIX hardware problem

>	I think that maybe the "Not enough space" message is
>misleading. What happens if you use of=/dev/null ?

I tried this. I also tried changing the command to be like this:

% dd if=/dev/nrtape of=/Disk6/DAVE_TAPE/tape conv=noerror

(Previously I was in the /dev directory when running the command, so I
don't think being more explicit has really affected anything except to
simply be more explicit.)

I/O Error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
I/O Error
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
Read error: Not enough space
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
Read error: Not enough space
3+0 records in
3+0 records out
Read error: Not enough space
4+0 records in
4+0 records out
Read error: Not enough space
5+0 records in
5+0 records out

For the first couple of times it said I/O error, which isn't more helpful,
but is different.
As for the drive, at the same time as wrestling with this tape, I
succesfully restored data from another, so I know that the drive _can_
work. I know that it doesn't definitely prove anything, it may still be
dirty. How do I go about cleaning the thing? Should I go in there with a
q-tip and some cleaning fluid, or should I get a special DAT cleaner of
some sort?

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691