Re: tlug: cheating sendmail

Well... everybody is writing exclusively on anti-spam subject. Are
technical questions still OK?  ;)

Reading some old mails...

    >> > I am trying to cheat sendmail and need hints.  What I want to
    >> do is that > the From field of email becomes
    >> "tetsuji@example.com" even the email is > sent by usual
    >> mail or mh.  Now I cheat by setting hostname to >
    >> MailAndNews.com, but it causes problems in samba.  My computer
    >> is connected to > internet via ppp, so the real site name is
    >> not determined when it is not > connected to Internet.  Any
    >> hints?
    >>
    >> In the sendmail sources, the relevant doc you need is
    >> cf/README.  Search for "envelope"; what you want to do is spoof
    >> the envelope on mail coming out of your sendmail daemon.  The
    >> function in the m4 configuration macros is
    >> MASQUERADE_ENVELOPE() or something like that.

I have a slightly different question. I have login 'dk' at home
and my mail at ISP is kov@example.com

What I can do is masquerade my mailhub, that it will present itself as
'tokyo.email.ne.jp', but then all mails from me at that host would be
From: dk@example.com, not kov@example.com

Is there any way to masquerade user login name, that all mails
(outside) will translate dk@example.com -> kov@example.com (let's suppose I don't want
to create separate account for this).

- dmytro

Dmytro Kovalev
Tokyo FI UNIX SA, Consultant
E-mail: dmytro.kovalev@example.com
*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691