Re: tlug: "make install"ing to somewhere other than --prefix

Austin Kurahone wrote:-

> I was just trying to install glibc2.1, and I was wondering if it is
> possible to make install to a directory other than what I defined in
> "./configure --prefix=(DIR_NAME)" so that if the installation fails, I
> won't trash my C compiler, /lib and etc.  Basically is it possible to
> change the target installation directory to somewhere else after I ran
> make.  It it ok to just edit the makefile?

As someone who did this very thing yesterday, in my case the
dependencies were such that the whole thing compiled again.  You could
install it by hand, of course.

Neil.

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691