Re: tlug: RedHat head-banging

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Darren Cook wrote:

> I've decided RedHat is a very non-standard distribution, because every
> time I read in a how-to that "most installations will have/do ..." the
> file or directory is never like that.

RedHat definitely does things their own way, but unfortunately due to
their commercial success their way is becoming the new standard.  Better
get used to it.

> 1.Lilo boot files are in /boot/vmlinuz-X.Y.Z instead of /vmlinuz. So I
> decided to be standard and put the new kernel in /vmlinuz. It works but
> rc.sysinit mentions "/boot/vmlinuz" - did that cause a problem?

Shouldn't.  The only thing that should care where your kernel is, is
/etc/lilo.conf

(usually I put my kernel in /vmunix, but I'm really old-fashioned)

> 2.It had a "/lib/modules/preferred" symbolic link to
> "/lib/modules/2.0.34-0.6". For some reason it deletes and recreates
> this each time you boot, but once I had /lib/modules/2.2.3 there it
> failed to create the link each time.

Track down that symlink creator and nuke it.  That is bad juju.

modprobe/insmod will do the right thing -- they will check the rev of the
kernel that you are running and load the proper modules.

-- Chris

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691