Re: tlug: Other users connecting to X

    Stephen> Probably the best way to do this is to use `xhost
    Stephen> +local:'.
[ . . . ]
    Stephen> You can also use more complicated per-user authorization
    Stephen> schemes, but I don't understand them, having never used
    Stephen> them.

xhost is not really a good thing to do. You should use xauth for this.

I think most default X configurations use it instead of xhost. Also
xdm authentication is based only on xauth. And if both of them
(i.e. xhost and xauth) are present it's generally a *BAD THING* -
xhost overrides xauth.

The simplest solution I've found so far is:

su
cd /root
ln -s ~<your_id>/.Xauthority

This will allow all connections from root to your X session on local
machine.

To allow connections from other machines its 'xauth add displayname
protocolname hexkey' - protocolname is usually a '.' for default.

- dmytro

    Stephen> -- University of Tsukuba Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573
    Stephen> JAPAN Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences Tel/fax:
    Stephen> +81 (298) 53-5091
    Stephen> __________________________________________________________________________
    Stephen> __________________________________________________________________________
    Stephen> What are those two straight lines for?  "Free software
    Stephen> rules."
    Stephen> -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stephen> Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
    Stephen> 03-3275-3691 Next Technical Meeting: April 10 (Sat),
    Stephen> 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
    Stephen> more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp Sponsor: Global Online
    Stephen> Japan
Dmytro Kovalev
Tokyo FI UNIX SA, Consultant
E-mail: dmytro.kovalev@example.com
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691