RE: tlug: A myriad of mailers

    Stephen> Do I understand correctly that qmail fulfills the same
    Stephen> niche that sendmail does, and therefore one runs one or
    Stephen> the other?

Yes.  In general, there is an unofficial "sendmail interface" that all
of the popular MTAs adhere to.  For most purposes, smail, qmail, exim,
etc are plug-n-play with sendmail.  All of them have special
extensions, and each has its plusses and minuses.

qmail is safe-by-design as compared to sendmail and smail[1], and
might be a good choice, modulo version-specific bugs, which is my
guess as to what Chris was reporting.  exim is also coherently
designed.

Footnotes:
[1]  which I use; I'd have to say I don't recommend that people using
smail, especially on Debian, change to something else; but people who
are making a choice of MTA and thinking about smail should carefully
investigate the alternatives, too

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691