Re: tlug: Kousoku Cable Modem Access (Was that stupid Contact Lens BS)

    Shawn> Hi all,

    Shawn> I told him that I thought it was a (simple?) matter of
    Shawn> configging the hardware - LAN card (required) and cable
    Shawn> modem, and after that it was basic TCP/IP regardless of the
    Shawn> OS.

Your are right. The cable modem acts as a router. The router assigns
you an IP address via dhcp. You have to run dhcpcd on you linux box,
to get the address.

You need to setup a config file for the interface, specifying BOOTPROTO=dhcp

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

When you first set this up,you can run

	ifup ifcfg-eth0

You should then see dhcpd running:

/sbin/dhcpcd -l -c /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdhcpc-done eth0

Regards,

	Andy
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691