Re: tlug: AOL Spam

Frank Bennett wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 11:14:01PM +0100, Fredric Fredricson wrote:
>
> > Spam does not _really_ bother me that much. Can't be more than one or
> > two in a hundred emails but I always get upset because I DID NOT ASK
> > FOR IT. I have dreamt of some algorithm or heuristic to automatically
> > delete spam.
>
> This would be a never-ending story, so long as the heuristics used to
> identify spam were public --- spammers then study your heuristics and
> generate spam that doesn't look like spam, which you then study and
> incorporate into your heuristic, which they then study ...

Yes, probably. Something like the virus/virus protection wars in the
MS world. But on the other hand, it would keep spammer busy with
something else than spamming ;-).

> An under-inclusive filter and the delete key are the best medicine.
Ah.. yes, for a user. A real programmer on the other hand can
easily spend 5 nights to save himself from pressing 2 buttons once
a week. Real programmers are not very smart ;-).
It's really for the fun of it. Now that, as Howard Abbey pointed
out, such a filter already exists it is not so funny anymore. On
the other hand, it might be fun to install it and play with it.

This is what makes Linux so much more fun than MS Windows. The
opportunities to play. There is no end to it. C, C++, HTML, Java,
Perl, Python, Apache, Netscape, network, proxy, Tcl/Tk, X, KDE,
Sound, email, procmail and more right out of the box and much
more only an URL or two away.
(Opps, wrong list. Should have been advocacy. Sorry. 10 pushups!)

/Fredric

= Life is not a school.
  Death is not an exam.
  Go out and play! =
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691