tlug: Q: Scanner and Linux

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty writes:
 > I want to buy a scanner for use with Linux.  So, I checked
 > the local computer shops for scanners supported by the SANE
 > project.  There is one scanner, which seems to have a stable
 > driver and is about in the right price range, but the shops
 > only has the Mac version of the scanner.  As I neither have
 > use for the Mac nor the Win version of the scanner's
 > software and I am prepared to buy an extra SCSI cable, I was
 > wondering whether it makes any difference whether I buy the
 > Mac or Win version.  Any opinions?
 >
 > The scanner is an UMAX Astra 1220S (S = SCSI version).  Does
 > anybody have experience with using scanners from Linux and
 > in particular using SANE's xscanimage from within GIMP to do
 > the scans?

I use Canon CanoScan 300 now under Sane and Gimp. I bought the flatbed
scanner two years simply because they sell software and cable for Win and Mac
separately. Even it has two separate connectors of anphenol and
d-sub. So it needs two different cables to daisy-chain.
And software can be downloaded from their web. xscanimage
is standalone program that also can be plug-in for gimp. And OCR
program I use under Linux demands tif format, so I need to use it under
Gimp. Since xscanimage has limited image file format.
Despite alpha state of canon driver, so far it works fine and
Canon never release scsi manual as far as I know, I wonder how they do
it. It works even under network so I don't have to swap around scsi
controller. But, I failed to make gimp script that rotate image and
save a file under serialized name nor make gimp command line script to
do the same. Simply I resorted to ImageMagick convert for proper
orientation for OCR program.

Regards,
Kei.