tlug: boot failed problem solved

Just in case anyone runs into the same installation problem I did and
happens to search for the solution in the ML archives, here's the solution.

The problem was that I downloaded the boot.img file from RedHat and put it
on a floppy. When I tried to boot from it on a Compaq Deskpro EP, all I got
was "boot failed."

The first solution was to upgrade the ROM. Found it on Compaq's site.

The second solution was to boot from the floppy that comes with TurboLinux
3.0 instead of Red Hat's. I couldn't boot from the Turbo CD, although the
machine is supposed to support CD booting and the BIOS was set correctly to
boot from the CD-ROM drive first.

Next problem was with the video card, an ATI 3D Rage IIC, and the monitor, a
Compaq V70. The installer screen would go blank when trying to configure X
Windows. The trick was to select generic settings for both, and use the SVGA
XFree86 driver. That let me finish the installation, login and startx. From
there I used the Turbo utility for RMP package management to login to pht's
FTP site and install a motherload of updates, including XFree86 3.3.3
packages and the Mach64 3.3.3 driver (I know, wrong terminology, so what),
which do support the ATI 3D Rage IIC. I got the necessary settings for the
V70 monitor from Compaq's site.

Now you know.

Rich
Richard M. Pavonarius, Global Commons, Inc.
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691