Re: tlug: I wanna be an ISP...

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Darren Cook wrote:

> I then want to take my home solution and expand it to accepting faxes and
> voice messages. My  ISDN TA is Aterm IT55 DSU.

Is your ISDN TA at home?  I think it knows whether the incoming call
is digital or analog, and connects it appropriately.  It should treat
PIAFS calls as digital too, altho I haven't tried it.  (I wound up
going with keitai instead.)  You can also make and receive analog
calls on one channel while having a digital connection on the other
64K channel.  My Aterm IT50 DSU displays the incoming phone number
as well, but I'm not sure there's a way for your computer to query
that number.

Regarding fax and voice messages, I think you'll have to use
an analog "voice/fax modem", or separate machines, connected
to one of the analog ports on your TA.  I went and got such a
modem many months ago, and plan to do the same sort of thing
as you, but haven't gotten around to it.

With ISDN, you can also buy a second phone number, and assign
each port a separate number (e.g., one for incoming analog modems,
and the other for incoming voice).  But, I wonder, if you have
only one number and don't configure the ports, and you put an
analog modem on both ports, and two people dial up that number,
will the TA connect both ports?

--
David Beutel        "We have already witnessed the disastrous effects
jdb@example.com            of the boom mentality when the boom is a

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691