tlug: Mybe I should throw in the towel...

Hello all,
	Maybe this discussion should be in advocacy (... is there still an
advocacy mailing list), but i'd like to keep it technical if possible.
	This is not a whine or a rant against Linux. Please don't take it that
way. I just have to make a fairly serious decision about my life at the
moment. Do i keep at this Linux thing and if so how? Or do I forget about
it, hire some web services and concentrate on graphics?
	I've been struggling with Linux to set up my own server for months now.
For a while I had one running and then it got hacked by some [expletive
deleted] who basically destroyed it. So now I've put all the hardware
together for a new box.
	But i'm wondering if it's worth it. I mean, are there any advantages to me
having my own box over paying for the services of a "virtual server"?
	To configure the question a bit more, let's assume that, to me, paying the
twnty dollars a month for someone to take care of my domain is negligible.
Compared to the one time cost of building my box (about 30,000yen including
all the hardware and software and books), i think they work out to be even
for at least the medium term.
	The other issue is control. Obviously, with my own box i can set it up
just the way i want it. I lose a bit of that with a paid service, but at
least they do it right. The thing is that since I got hacked, I'm feeling
totally insecure about my abilities to prevent further hacking or
self-induced mishaps. Wouldn't I be better off leaving it to professionals.
	From my current perspective, it seems that the learning curve of Linux is
just too steep. I think I got caught up in the whole Linux excitement, and
thought it would be simply "cool" to be running my own server. But now I
think maybe it's too involved.Most of the stuff which gets talked about in
this newsgroup is just way over my head. Can i realistically learn how to
configure sendmail without it becoming my full time career? What I really
am is a graphics guy, and what I wanted to do was learn enough Linux and
Apache and sendmail to run a site with which to support my graphics
endeavors. But it seems that learning those things is mutualy exclusive of
pursuing other desires, or at least would require that i put off any other
learning or development for a time frame measured in years.
	And, I find there aren't the resources to teach me Linux. Not to say that
the information isn't out there. There are reams and reams of books and
documents on the net - a good number of those books are on my desk - but,
for better or for worse, i learn better from people. And I've had
difficulty in getting some actual, live, in person, help, no matter what my
offer of compensation for the teacher's time is. Again, this isn't a
complaint against people who are more informed about Linux than I am. It's
recognition that everyone has their own lives and I just accept that maybe
they can't squeeze me in their schedule. Just the way it is.
	To make this decision, I'm inviting the advice of you people who work with
Linux regularly, who can hopefully give me some honest assesments. My
question comes down to this: Can I reasonably expect to learn how to set up
a personal Linux Web and Mail server, and maintain it, within a sort of
hobby level commitment of time and effort? If i devote one or two evenings
a week, can I get this thing going?
	I've been trying to learn Linux for about eight months now, and what I
have is one hacked and destroyed server, and one box at home that I can't
get to work with my net card. Tell me seriously, were my hopes to high? Am
i in over my head? Did i not take learning Linux seriously enough?

	If this conversation is better off over in the advocacy mailing list,
please direct it there but inform me privately if you do so because i do
not currently subscribe to it. Or feel free to get talk with me directly,
as this is a fairly personal issue.
	I don't usually stress my need to hear from people, but please send me
your opinions. I'm either going to devote a good amount of my time from now
on, or sell my hardware and software and try to cut my losses. it's an
important decsision for me, and I'd like to feel that I've weighed in all
the facts.

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691