Re: tlug: AGP cards for Linux

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Darren Cook wrote:

> My requirements are simple: cheap, available in Akihabara, 4Mb is plenty.

There are lots of good cards out there, almost all of which are
supported.  One you might want to avoid if you plan to run 32-bit true
color is anything with a Riva 128, since they have problems with snow
flurries at that color depth (thanks to Chris Sekiya for clueing me in
to why I was experiencing this on my machine).  Note that I also
experience a flicker effect with a Riva 128 on a Windows 95 machine at
that color depth also.

Memory-wise, I doubt you'll be able to find a 4 meg card anymore.  They
had a few left at T-Zone outlet a couple months ago, but they may be all
gone now.  Count on 8 meg being the least amount of memory you can get
on a video card.

> BTW, a K6-II chip will work with Linux won't it? I remember some rumours
> that Intel-clones didn't work properly with Win95/NT. Is a Celeron

Yes, it will work fine.  Intel clone chips also work fine with Windows.
I actually prefer AMD to Intel, myself.  A K6 (even a regular one) is
faster than a Pentium running at the same clock rate [1] and the K6-II
seems to be competitive with the Pentium II.  The Pentium III doesn't
really seem like anything special, definitely isn't worth the price that
Intel is charging for it, and has that processor ID feature to worry
about.  Also, the K7 is coming and will probably put a real whipping on
the Pentium III.  For less money.

Jonathan Byrne                                   Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                              http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 03-5334-1700   Fax: +81-03-5334-1701   Direct: +81-03-5334-1756

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691