Re: tlug: Why there won't be no SATS [was: KDE & Japanese]

To all who responded to this thread--

Thanks, everyone, for the many helpful suggestions. Unfortunately, I
wasn't looking for help, and I apologize if I gave the impression I
was.

What started this thread was my offhand remark (which probably should
have been on advocacy) about the difficulty of configuring
Sendmail. My point was to question the common misconception that
user-friendliness means having visually attractive buttons and menus
for everything. Not that I oppose nice buttons and menus, or that
people don't have the right to program whatever they like. Just that
part of the purpose of projects like GNOME seems to be to make Linux a
viable desktop OS. And a tremendous amount of energy seems to be going
into extravagant visuals, which means it's not going into more mundane
things which might really be more useful.

I'm finished, unless anybody feels like debating this further (on
advocacy, perhaps?). Once again, thanks. My e-mail's fine, but maybe
somebody will glean some good ideas.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691