tlug: Preparing the isofs for burning CDs

I'd like to archive a bunch of stuff I currently have spread all over
several file systems on several systems in an organized way on CD.  I
have two problems (files I don't want to archive and the large number
of FSes) that suggest a good solution would be to build the ISO9660
image on an HD partition incrementally.

It would be most convenient if I could just cd into the various
directories and cp stuff across to the ISO9660 image.  Is this
possible?

Also, are there optimizations of FS organization I should consider?
At the moment, I have some archives (mail especially) that look like
this (`->' means a symlink or NFS mount):

mail/
     folder1
     folder2
     archive/ -> /var/archive/mail/
             folder1.1998
             folder1.1997
             folder2.1998
             really-old/ -> otherbox:/var/nfs-exports/mail-archives
                        folder1.1996

and so on.  mkisofs doesn't handle this kind of thing gracefully (to
say the least), and if you specify ~/mail, /var/archive/mail, and
otherbox:/var/nfs-exports/mail-archives the various instances of
folder1 will probably be randomly and widely separated on the CD which
is probably not the best organization (eg for grep'ing).

Is it possible to ensure that groups of files end up in easily
sequentially accessible places on the CD?  Of course I could use
glimpse, but that doesn't help much for many complicated regexps.

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691