tlug: CA-99-03-FTP-Buffer-Overflows

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the right TLUG ML to send this mail, but I think
this is an important information for people managing Linux servers.

The CA-99-03-FTP-Buffer-Overflows problem seems to be a major
security concern for Linux ftp servers that wu-ftpd deamon. AFAIK
wu-ftpd is installed by default in all major Linux distributions.

The following URL lists the details about the problem and discusses
the solution.

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-03-FTP-Buffer-Overflows.html

The solution suggested is to upgrade the wu-ftpd or to use a FTP deamon
that is "not vulnerable" to this problem.

As a solution, I have replaced the wu-ftpd with the "not vulnerable"
BeroFTPD on my Linux Server.

Venkatesh Raghavan
Osaka City University