Re: tlug: Libretto

    Frank> A common reason for failure or disabling of power-down
    Frank> hibernation is the reformatting of the hard disk.  Early
    Frank> Librettos required that an area the size of memory be left
    Frank> unformatted at the end of the disk.  Other laptops, and
    Frank> probably the more modern Librettos, require a specially
    Frank> formatted partition on the disk, which the BIOS identifies

In my case (I am using Compaq Armada 1510) I have file named something
like hibrn*.dat on DOS partition.

Originally I splited partition with fips leaving for Windows staff
about 400M and Linux ~600M. I haven't booted into Win even once since
I installed Linux and step by step I deleted one Win directory after
another to free space for linux files.

What I discovered is that the same linux directory takes on umsdos
partition up to 20% more space (usually if it consists of a lot small
files).

Anybody knows, is such file as hibrn*.dat any kind of special file on
DOS partition, .i.e. can I shrink DOS partition just to the size of
that file? I hope it should not be fragmented, but I am not sure. And
if it is fragmented can I run dos defragment on it?

    Frank> If your received a maintenance CD with the machine, look
    Frank> into it and see if you can find a DOS utility that looks

Unfortunately I don't have any native DOS software for it. All I had
was on hard disk and is already wiped. So I'm afraid if I do anything
wrong with hibernation mode I'll not be able to restore it.

    Frank> Toshiba support or their Web site.  Power-down hibernation
    Frank> is really handy; it's worth putting in a bit of extra work

I love it

Thanks,

Dmytro

    Frank> if you can get it to function on your machine.

    Frank> Cheers, -- -x80 Frank G Bennett, Jr @@ Faculty of Law,
    Frank> Nagoya Univ () email: bennett@example.com Tel:
    Frank> +81[(0)52]789-2239 () WWW:
    Frank> http://rumple.soas.ac.uk/~bennett/

    Frank> Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
    Frank> 03-3275-3691 Next Technical Meeting: April 10 (Sat), 12:30
    Frank> place: Temple Univ.
    Frank> more info: http://tlug.linux.or.jp Sponsor: PHT
Dmytro Kovalev
Tokyo FI UNIX SA, Consultant