Re: tlug: Libretto

Hi,

The context was on Linux, not on "remaining" pre-installed Windows,
you know.

Frank G Bennett, Jr wrote:
> > I just wanted to write that "hybernation", which stores entire memory
> > image on the disk, doesn't seem available on SS1000.  "Suspend" which
> > keeps memory image works well.  Besides, I can change the battery
> > while it is in suspended mode and connected to the power adapter.
>
> A common reason for failure or disabling of power-down hibernation
> is the reformatting of the hard disk.  Early Librettos required that
> an area the size of memory be left unformatted at the end of the disk.
> Other laptops, and probably the more modern Librettos, require a
> specially formatted partition on the disk, which the BIOS identifies
> and uses for writing out the memory image before powering down the
> machine.  If you did a total reformat of the disk when you installed
> Linux, you will have wiped out this partition.

I'm aware of the partitioning problem.  I've heard that BIOS has been
changed to make SS1000 fit to new power management system used in
Microsoft Windows 98 and that causes hibernation not available on any
other OSes than Windows.

I used FIPS to shrink the partition for Win and make some other
partitions to install Linux on SS1000.  Before it I checked the number
of partitions and their sizes.  I found only one.

Frank, http://www.omote.com/libretto/ may make you clear the
partitioning process I took.

--
Masanori "Smiley" Omote