Re: tlug: 10/100base2 NICs for Linux

>Riva128 chips work well and are fairly
>inexpensive.

This is a server I'm building.  Can I ask more about "RIva128 chips?"  Is
this a brand name, or do I just check for the chipset on the box?  And
these are PCI cards, not AGP?

 These days, it seems everything in the stores is an AGP
>card with 8 meg or more, so take your pick among the major brands..
>I've used two different Riva cards (a Diamond Edge3D and Diamond Viper
>330) with Linux with good results.

This server's going to be black most of the time, so I was hoping to get
away with less than an AGP with 8 megs, as you could understand.

Avoid Trident and S3 stuff.

 Right.

>A list of supported cards can be found at:
>
>http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html
>
>Take it shopping with you :-)

Thanks.  I got it.

>Don't skimp on motherboard quality.  Asus and MegaByte are both very
>good, and I would recommend getting one of those.  The documentation
>(especially Asus) is also very good with these boards.

I'm typing this on a box with an Asus P2B 350-U board.  So it should be
fine for Linux?  I notice that A-Open was not mentioned.  I just put
together a box for a friend and we chose an A-Open board, because it seemed
the Asus ones had gone way up in price since last we'd seen.  Seems fine
with NT.  Not recommended for Linux?  Sorry, I don't remember the number,
but is A-Open in general tantamount to "skimping on quality?"

So, am I on my own with the 10base2 card?  I've got the HCL to check, but
I've had "instant luck" with some cards on the NT list and have also banged
my head until I threw up my hands in despair with one in particular (alas,
a cheapie).  That's why I was hoping that some of you with history on this
might have some inside experiences, as with the video cards.

If not, thanks anyway for the advice given.  We'll see how things turn out.

Glenn Evanish

glenn@example.com

http://www.twics.com/~glenn
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691