Re: tlug: cc1plus?

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     mike>     mike@example.com ~/cpp$ gcc --version
>     mike>     2.7.2.3
>     mike>     mike@example.com ~/cpp$ g++ --version
>     mike>     egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)
>
> Aaaaargh!

Is this how Redhat's doing this now?  If anything, it should be the other
way around since there are/were some c++ bugs in egcs.  I just went ahead
and put egcs 1.1.1 in as the standard C and C++ compiler for TL 3.0.1, and
that seems to work with the exception of the 2.0.x kernels, but that's
just the way things are.  Now that 2.2.x is the stable kernel I don't
think we have to worry about it too much anymore.

> Uhm.  Try `ls -l /usr/bin | grep egc'.  Probably you have a binary
> (I'm betting on `egcc') which invokes the egcs instance of gcc rather
> than gcc 2.7.2.3.  This may pick up a symlink or perhaps a alias like
> i386-pc-linux-gnu-egcs-gcc, too.

Redhat makes it 'i386-redhat-linux'.... Stallman would be rolling over in
his grave, if he were dead.

> Several of the packages I've worked with lately (in particular
> glibc-2.1 but also binutils I think) strongly recommend compilation
> with egcs as "gcc 2.7.x is fatally buggy".  AFAIK the ONLY reason now
> for using gcc 2.7 instead of egcs >= 1.1 on x86 architectures is that
> the kernel code is buggy (it relies on "illegal asm clobbers"
> according to Chris, whatever that means).

doesn't matter, it's correct.  Please update to egcs 1.1.1 if you're using
1.0.x though, as 1.1.1 fixes some important issues.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691