Re: tlug: cc1plus?

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Several of the packages I've worked with lately (in particular
> glibc-2.1 but also binutils I think) strongly recommend compilation
> with egcs as "gcc 2.7.x is fatally buggy".

... which killed glibc-2.1 as far as RMS was concerned.  2.1 was yanked
off the GNU site very quickly.  A glibc-2.1.README appeared:

	glibc-2.1 has been (temporarily) removed, until some
	political issues are worked out.

RMS doesn't like people dissing gcc -- the glibc blurb stated that 2.8 was
bad as well (which is true, but one certainly doesn't rub it in RMS'
face).

> (it relies on "illegal asm clobbers" according to Chris, whatever that
> means).

Means that gcc-2.7 would let embedded asm bits play fast and loose with
registers.

-- Chris

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691