Re: tlug: cc1plus?

    Jonathan> When trying to compile VFU (a console mode file
    Jonathan> manager), I get this error:

    Jonathan> gcc -I. -I/usr/include/ncurses -O2 -c vsuti.cpp -o
    Jonathan> vsuti.o gcc: installation problem, cannot exec
    Jonathan> `cc1plus': No such file or directory make: *** [vsuti.o]
    Jonathan> Error 1

    mike> I use Redhat 5.2 and noticed the same phenomenon:

    mike>     mike@example.com ~/cpp$ gcc t.cc
    mike>     gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory

    mike> but:

    mike>     mike@example.com ~/cpp$ g++ t.cc

    mike> works fine. When I remember it right, I did not get the
    mike> "cannot exec `cc1plus'" message on Redhat 5.0, although I
    mike> usually got linker errors when using gcc instead of g++ for
    mike> C++ sources. Maybe the reason for this new kind of error
    mike> message is that g++ is now egcs:

You got it.

    mike>     mike@example.com ~/cpp$ gcc --version
    mike>     2.7.2.3
    mike>     mike@example.com ~/cpp$ g++ --version
    mike>     egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)

Aaaaargh!

Uhm.  Try `ls -l /usr/bin | grep egc'.  Probably you have a binary
(I'm betting on `egcc') which invokes the egcs instance of gcc rather
than gcc 2.7.2.3.  This may pick up a symlink or perhaps a alias like
i386-pc-linux-gnu-egcs-gcc, too.

Several of the packages I've worked with lately (in particular
glibc-2.1 but also binutils I think) strongly recommend compilation
with egcs as "gcc 2.7.x is fatally buggy".  AFAIK the ONLY reason now
for using gcc 2.7 instead of egcs >= 1.1 on x86 architectures is that
the kernel code is buggy (it relies on "illegal asm clobbers"
according to Chris, whatever that means).

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691