tlug: (OT) dictating (was: It's alive!)

> I'll try to get as much of the library as possible typed into a single
> text file at the meeting.  If possible, I'd like to get a volunteer to
> read off book info to me while I type.

Having done this kind of thing many times ....

When you can't find a helper for this kind of work, a cassette tape
recorder (any recorder, for that matter) can be your friend.  Those
litle micro-dictation recorders are perfect.  "Read entirety into
recorder, play back and type" is much faster and less error prone than
"read a line, type a line".  A true dictation machine (with foot
activated pause switch for playback) is ideal, but its also possible to
read aloud at your typing speed (if you're a fast typist).

Kinda obvious, but amazingly helpful.  Great for getting your entire
record collection or whatever into a database.

Hmm ... visions of a TkDictate mini-applet that records a mono stream,
stores 64bit MP3 and has a configurable hot-key sequence to pause/resume
playback.  You heard it here first.  (Someday, in My Abundant Spare
Time, I *will* write this.)

Regards,
--
Rex
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.