Re: tlug: 2 Problems with Kernel 2.2.1 upgrade

Hi Stephen,

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> This is a pretty uninformative symptom to report; what could be wrong?
> I'm not going to count the ways, it'll take much too long.

True, I'll post again when I reboot 2.2.1, and write down more details.
(The problem is I cannot post from 2.2.1!). Pinging my ISP worked fine
(I tested the basics like that before posting).

>     Neil> Also, has anyone who has upgraded to modutils-2.1.121
>     Neil> managed to keep modules working when booting under 2.0.x? It
>     Neil> appears to have broken my modular 2.0.x kernel as it cannot
>     Neil> load ppp anymore as a module.
>
> Rebuilding the 2.0.x kernel and modules has worked for me twice, once
> on i836 and once on sparc.

Hmmm, using 2.1.121 modules? You must have changed either the kernel
source or the modutils source then, because in untouched form they
disagree about a kerneld_msg structure. This is the problem I (and
apparently many others) came across.

The following is declared in modutils-2.1.121/include/kerneld.h :-

struct kerneld_msg
  {
    long mtype;
    long id;
    short version;
    short pid;
    char text[1];
  };

which has 2 extra items compared to
linux-2.0.36/include/linux/kerneld.h.
In case anyone comes across this, one (of many) solutions is to edit the
modutils source as follows:-

struct kerneld_msg
  {
    long mtype;
    long id;
#ifdef NEW_KERNELD_PROTOCOL
    short version;
    short pid;
#endif
    char text[1];
  };

and recompile kerneld. Then everything hums as expected.

Thanks for your reply,

Neil.
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691