Re: tlug: 3Com 589 PC Card

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> I recently got an older-but-good notebook machine (a DEC HiNote Ultra
> CT475, a machine that you would not believe dates to 1994 or 1995 if you
> saw it, and it even has a trackball) and I picked up a 3Com 589 card for
> it, but I'm having a problem.  The 3Com card is now called 3Com
> Megahertz.  The number is still 589, so I'm guesing (or maybe hoping) at
> this point, that it's still a "real" 589.  The exact model number is
> 3CXE589ET (the X refers to its having an XJack connector rather than a
> tail).
>
> I'm trying to install TurboLinux 3.0J on it by FTP install and the
> problem is that cardmgr says it doesn't recognize the card:
>
> cardmgr [16]  Unsupported card in socket 1.  Product info:
> "3com","Megahertz 589E","TP/BNC LAN PC Card","005"
>
> cardmgr [16] manfid 0x0101,0x0589 function: 6 (network)
>
> I don't have a SCSI PC Card or CD-ROM drive or I'd go that way, so I
> need to install over a network. Can anybody give me a workaround for
> this, or in the worst case, tell me a supported card I can get?

it probably *would* use the 589 driver, but it's returning a different ID
string than the old 589s do, so cardmgr isn't quite sure what to do with
it.  If you drop to a shell, edit /etc/pcmcia/whatever and add an entry
for the thing, then restart cardmgr and eject/insert the card, it'd
probably come up ok.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691