Re: tlug: Ghostscript/VFlib not finding font

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 04:36:41PM +0900, Matt Gushee wrote:

> So evidently vflib is trying to open a non-existent font. I don't have
> (have never had) 'mincho.vf1', nor do I have the ../vfonts
> directory. I do have Wadalab Mincho, though, so maybe I need to tell
> VFlib that 'min' means Wadalab Mincho. I'm thinking maybe it's just a
> matter of editing /etc/vfontcap.

I just ran into the same problem myself while installing similar works on
our mail server.  I want to slip in a filter on one of our lists that
appends a JPEG image of messages on the fly, for the benefit of people who
read Japanese but own computers that don't.

> Um ... does anybody have a copy of the VFlib-2.22 docs that doesn't
> depend on TeX or PS? Say, HTML or something? Or can anyone explain how
> to write a vfontcap entry?

Not here.  I've got the same stuff you do.

There's not much to it, though.  Put one of the samples into /etc if it's
not already there.  Then search for your font name(s); it should be in
there already, if it's public domain or common.  Edit the path to it, and
note the nickname at the front of the entry --- the format is similar to
printcap entries.. Then find the entries for "min" and "goth".  These are
aliases that point at the proper entry: switch whatever is there out, and
switch in the nickname(s) that you noted above.

Then you should be in business.

Cheers,
--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691