Re: tlug: Non-X text editing

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Darren Cook wrote:

> >Buying a new one is kind of out of the question... I'm intending to make
> >this machine a server eventually. I just wanted to get Xwindows working so
> >that i can access the RH control panel which does a few things better than
>
> I've decided that as most of what I want to learn about Linux is
> server-related that it is not worth the fuss of setting up X.
>
> However I need a good text editor. I've been using vi, which is not much
> fun. Any suggestions? I want something that is easy to learn and use, and
> doesn't need to be powerful. From my few trials with Xemacs this doesn't
> seem to be what I'm looking for.

GNU emacs and Xemacs both are good in text mode.  I actually prefer GNU
emacs in text mode myself, though.  It's a bit more lightweight... depends
on what you're used to, though.  'pico' is also quite nice, and has always
been one of my favorites.

> Darren

> Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
> ** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
> Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> more info: http://tlug.linux.or.jp                     Sponsor: PHT

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)