RE: tlug: Grrr... Why won't the same solution work for the same problem twice?

>Subject: tlug: Grrr... Why won't the same solution work for the same
>problem twice?

Mutation, no doubt...

>So here it is six months later, and I'm setting up RH 5.2, and i runn into
>the same problem again. "Aha!" Thinks I, "I'll just go to the TLUG archive,
>get the same solution as before, and everything will be peachy".
>So i go home and use xf86config to set up my XF86config file, and then I
>remove the "chipset: generice" line. And my monitor goes haywire when I say
>"startX".
>So after fiddling around, I discover that this time Xconfigurator has the
>highest rate of success, because it won't give me a resolution higher than
>320X200, but at least it doesn't turn my monitor into blithering idiot
>(that's my job!)
>Sigh.
>So what can i try here?

More and better beer, of course!

># **********************************************************************
># Graphics device section
># **********************************************************************
># Any number of graphics device sections may be present
>Section "Device"
>    Identifier        "Generic VGA"
>    VendorName        "Unknown"
>    BoardName "Unknown"
>    Chipset   "generic"
>#    VideoRam 256
>#    Clocks   25.2 28.3
>EndSection
># Device configured by Xconfigurator:
>Section "Device"
>    Identifier  "TG 9660 / Cyber9385"
>    VendorName  "Unknown"
>    BoardName   "Unknown"
>    #VideoRam    1024

   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What is your actual Video Ram? Usually server finds it anyhow, but it
doesn't hurt to have it listed here.

>    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
>EndSection

># **********************************************************************
># Screen sections
># **********************************************************************
># The Colour SVGA server
>Section "Screen"
>    Driver      "svga"
>    Device      "Generic VGA"
>    #Device      "TG 9660 / Cyber9385"
>    Monitor     "MAG MX15F (1)"
>    Subsection "Display"
>        Depth       8
>        #Modes       "1024x768"
>        ViewPort    0 0
>        Virtual     320 200
>        #Virtual     1024 768
>    EndSubsection
>EndSection

Well, it's pretty clear here. You have the virtual display set to 320x200 and
no actual mode available, so you get 320x200. Try uncommenting the mode above
of 1024x768, nuke the "Virtual   320 200" line, and you'll have 1024x768 next
time up.

Another utility is XF86Setup, which is a GUI style of X configuration. You'll
need the VGA16 server to use it.

HTH,

--David Riley
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691