re: tlug: Canna with Emacs 20.2 on RH 5.0?

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

 >     Irene> I have the TL 3.0 Jap. CDs, so I queried
 >     Irene> xemacs-20.4-4TL.i386.rpm for possible needs and conflicts.
 >     Irene> It sais it misses libjpeg.so.62, libncurses.so.4 and
 >     Irene> libpng.so.2.  RH 5.0 is a bit old, I guess.
 >
 > Yes.  All of those libraries are necessary; in fact some older
 > versions of each of the libraries in question have bugs that manifest
 > themselves in XEmacs.

 >     Irene> Would it be safe to uninstall the older packages and try
 >     Irene> the new ones instead?
 >
 > Yes.

Really? I have the impression that on a Red Hat system you need
both the old and the new libraries -- unless that was just an error in
packaging RH 5.1, that doesn't affect other versions.

At any rate, Red Hat 5.2 includes 'libjpeg-6b-7.i386.rpm' (the new
one) and 'libjpeg6a-6a-2.i386.rpm'. I have found I need both, but of
course it depends on what jpeg-using packages you have.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691