Re: tlug: The aftermath of having one's server hacked.

Isn't 'linux single' asking root passwd? I'm not sure which version of
RH I used at which time, but in earlier versions you would drop
directly into the shell, in newer ones you'll be prompted for root
passwd.
So, it doesn't work in all cases.

Also, latter seems to me a little bit (*little* bit) safer that
former.

--
Dmytro

    Scott> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Chris Sekiya wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
    >>
    >> > 1. Change my root password. This makes it difficult to do any
    >> repairs. If > anyone has a suggestion as to how i might reclaim
    >> superuser status, please > inform me.
    >>
    >> Booting from LILO?
    >>
    >> LILO: linux init=/bin/bash
    >>
    >> # mount -n -o remount / # passwd root
    >>
    >> ... should take care of it.
    >>

    Scott> why is this better than 'linux single' from LILO (assuming
    Scott> that 'linux single' hasn't been compromised by the
    Scott> hacker... or did I just answer my own question?)

    Scott> -------------------------------------------------- Scott
    Scott> M. Stone <sstone@example.com> Head of TurboLinux English
    Scott> / Systems Administrator Pacific HiTech,
    Scott> Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

    Scott> Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place:
    Scott> Temple Univ.  ** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and
    Scott> Martin Buchholz Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu
    Scott> TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
    Scott> more info: http://tlug.linux.or.jp Sponsor: PHT
Dmytro Kovalev
Tokyo FI UNIX SA, Consultant