Re: tlug: Re: Test messages: Where's good?

    Chris> Uh, I could see allowing outbound SMTP in an IP
    Chris> masquerading setup.

Concede.  My excuse is that I don't consider that a "firewall."

But no question, this is an important example.  People who don't care
enough to spring for a real connection are likely to be short on
expertise, and there's probably going to be a market for that until
IPv6 is common currency.  (Obviously if it's a HAN, going back to the
advertised IP is going to work.)

    >> IP spoofing is an awful lot of effort to go to for so little
    >> effect.

    Chris> Depends on what's being returned by the SMTP checker.
    Chris> Wouldn't be too hard to imagine a neat DoS attack using
    Chris> this bit.

If it's 3rd parties, what's wrong with majordomo@example.com for
that purpose?  If it's the TLUG server that's attacked, you'd need a
lot of connections, and you can do that with a ping flood.

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691