RE: tlug: Partitioning sizes

I'm running into some of the same partition size problems.  In the past I've
had enough space to make the partitions as big as necessary, but in some of
the Sparc machines I'm setting up, that's not the case.

I've found the "advice" in both the Red Hat and the SUSE manuals pretty
confusing, and when followed, doesn't put enough space in some of the
partitions to load the modules specified, and forces me to start over
again--and using Disk Druid isn't exactly the quickest thing in the world!

While I understand that the sizes of the various file systems are going to
vary depending on use, personal needs, etc., can someone suggest a reference
or two, or perhaps have some insight on laying out file systems?

Steve

Stephen N. Carter
Information Technology Manager
ACCJ (American Chamber of Commerce in Japan)

> Subject: tlug: Partitioning sizes
>

> I'm finally going to set up my own Linux Machine, seperate from
> the machine
> that i've been using so far from my office. As i'm sure everyone always
> does with every new task, I'm telling mysefl "This time i'm going to do it
> really, REALLY right!"
> Anyways, i've hit my first little snag. (well, second after the CD-ROM
> problem mentioned in another post):
> The Red Hat 5.2 Manual says i should partition thusly:
>
> 64MB swap
> 16MB /boot
> 256MB /
> 512MB /usr
> 512MB /home
> 256MB /var
> (One note of confusion - the manual says that I should make the /
> partition
> as big as possible, and then on the very next line it says the / partition
> should be 256MB. I think there was some kind of editing mistake, and I
> wonder if there's some other partition which should be 256MB)
>
> This equals 1616MB of space. My hard drive is only 1.2. I can't really
> afford to upgrade, so the question is, where should i skimp?

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691