tlug: Sony CD-ROM drive controller

I have what i believe is a Sony 338 (rev 1.1) CD-ROM controller card (The
writing on the card makes it unclear as to the maker - it may be Panasonic
or Mitsumi or UMC(?)), and a Sony CD-338 CD-ROM drive.
I'm trying to install RH Linux 5.2 and it won't find the CD-ROM drive. The
first thing i did was check the Red Hat hardware compatibility list, and
the CD-ROM drive is listed, but i can't find the controller card - which is
more to do with the fact that I don't quite know what i'm looking for. Is
it an IDE adapter? A search on the Net came up zero as well.
I've tried changing the IRQ and base address, but i'm kind of shooting in
the dark with that method. Can someone suggest a way i might zero in on the
problem a little more directly?

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691