Re: tlug: Sparc question

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

> I assume that the "cannot sync" is because it is running of off cdrom.

Maybe, but it's *supposed* to work, being a Solaris install CD and all.
Of course, my mileage may vary :-p

> You might want to try without parity (4). I don't remember if it is

I'll give that a try.  the hard disks (one came in the SS2, the other is
from an external Sun SCSI box) both are jumpered for parity, so I think
it should be on, but I'll try it the other way.

> needed for Sun's or not. Also, check the termination. With 7 on, you
> don't want to use an external terminator. Termination problems can
> show up in weird ways...

I have no external terminator, but maybe I should turn termination off
and try an external?

> I'm stumped as to what switch 5 is. One thing that I heard from a

Me to.  Never seen that before.

> friend is that Sun's require the CD Drive to use 512 byte sectors, vs
> the default of 2048. As I posted the other day, I am looking for a
> CD-RW drive that supports this. I think the Yamaha CRW4416 supports
> this. It does not seem like this is what switch 5 does though...

Please keep me posted on this.

>     Jonathan> a) Bad (I've never used it before) b) Not very
>     Jonathan> compatible with Sun hardware c) Just not fast enough for
>     Jonathan> the task at hand (it's a 2X caddy type)
>
> A) is certainly possible.
> B) I think Solaris 2.6 should run on a SS2. You might want to check
> Sun's web pages.
> C) No, I don't think this is the case. I recently install Solaris 2.6
> from a very old 1X (??) drive. It took a year and a day to finish, but
> it work.

Oops, my fault.  I meant to say "CD-ROM drive" where I wrote just
"CD-ROM."  I *think* the CD itself is good, and AFAIK Solaris 2.6 should
run (slowly) on an SS2.  I wonder if the CD-ROM drive might be bad?

>     >> Actually, you might be better off with an old Sun drive.
>
>     Jonathan> Anybody got one they'd like to come and visit me with?
>     Jonathan> :-)
>
> I can lend you one from work if you want. It will have to wait until
> tomorrow though.

I'll be out of my office at least most of the day tomorrow, and maybe
all day (cross my fingers ;-)   I'll get back to you on this.

> I don't think it external disks. Come to think of it, I was having
> problems when I was trying to connect a wide disk with a wide to
> narrow adapter. I'm not sure why this did not work.

Hmm . . . that's what I'm doing here.  The CD-ROM end is 68-pin, the SS2
end is 50.  Maybe this doesn't work.

Thanks for the tips so far.  I'll get this installed yet.  I have 3
Sparcs here, and my goal is to have Linux on one, Solaris on one, and
BSD on yet another.  I'm a thrid of the way there :-)

Jonathan Byrne                                   Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                              http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 03-5334-1700   Fax: +81-03-5334-1701   Direct: +81-03-5334-1756

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691