Re: tlug: Sparc question

    >> From: "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com> Can you try

    Jonathan> boot /sbus/esp@example.com,800000/sd1,0:c

    Jonathan> It started a boot, but failed like this:

    Jonathan> SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic_105181-05 [UNIX (R)
    Jonathan> System V Release 4.0] Copyright (c) 1983-1997 Sun
    Jonathan> Microsystems, Inc.  Configuring devices. . .  panic:
    Jonathan> recursive mutex_enter, lp=ff30e7e8 owner=f050ae80
    Jonathan> thread=f050ae80 type=0 tsid=0 syncing file systems... 19
    Jonathan> 19 19 19 19 19 19 19 19

    Jonathan> cannot sync -- giving up rebooting...

I assume that the "cannot sync" is because it is running of off cdrom.

	The DIP switches on the drive are as follows:

		Label
		-----
	1	SCSI ID 1
	2	SCSI ID 2
	3	SCSI ID 4
	4	PRTY
	5	PRV/ALW
	6	TEST
	7	TERM

    Jonathan> The switches that are set to ON are: 2,3,4,7.  Swtiches
    Jonathan> 5,6 are off (any idea what 5 is?)

You might want to try without parity (4). I don't remember if it is
needed for Sun's or not. Also, check the termination. With 7 on, you
don't want to use an external terminator. Termination problems can
show up in weird ways...

I'm stumped as to what switch 5 is. One thing that I heard from a
friend is that Sun's require the CD Drive to use 512 byte sectors, vs
the default of 2048. As I posted the other day, I am looking for a
CD-RW drive that supports this. I think the Yamaha CRW4416 supports
this. It does not seem like this is what switch 5 does though...

    Jonathan> I suppose that this is progress of a sort, but perhaps
    Jonathan> it's the case that either this CD-ROM is

    Jonathan> a) Bad (I've never used it before) b) Not very
    Jonathan> compatible with Sun hardware c) Just not fast enough for
    Jonathan> the task at hand (it's a 2X caddy type)

A) is certainly possible.
B) I think Solaris 2.6 should run on a SS2. You might want to check
Sun's web pages.
C) No, I don't think this is the case. I recently install Solaris 2.6
from a very old 1X (??) drive. It took a year and a day to finish, but
it work.

    >> I'm sorry I can't tell more details on how these work. I got it
    >> to work from following examples in the controller manual and a
    >> bit of experimentation.

    Jonathan> Is the controller manual (or any other SS2
    Jonathan> documentation) available online anywhere that you know
    Jonathan> of?  I have none at all.

I use an Antares Wide SCSI-FWS/2 controller in my sparc here. That's
where I got the info from. The only other thing I can think of is that
the first boot-device example I gave you ended in " disk". Maybe
supplying " cdrom" at the end...

    >> Actually, you might be better off with an old Sun drive.

    Jonathan> Anybody got one they'd like to come and visit me with?
    Jonathan> :-)

I can lend you one from work if you want. It will have to wait until
tomorrow though.

    >> That should not be a problem in itself. However, it may be the
    >> the drive is scsi-2,3. The SS2 is plain old scsi. I have not
    >> been able to get scsi-2 devices to work with built in
    >> controllers on SS2's and 5's. The add-on controllers, such as
    >> the ethernet/scsi combination controller, does work.

    Jonathan> The internal disks are both SCSI-2, and I know for sure
    Jonathan> that the smaller one works, since it came with the
    Jonathan> machine and has an old SunOS on it.  Or does that
    Jonathan> problem with SCSI-2 only apply to external devices?

I don't think it external disks. Come to think of it, I was having
problems when I was trying to connect a wide disk with a wide to
narrow adapter. I'm not sure why this did not work.

Regards,

	Andy
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691