Re: tlug: Sparc question

    Jonathan> Any Sparc experts up burning the midnight oil tonight?
    Jonathan> I'm kind of stuck here with this Sparc 2 and I hope I
    Jonathan> can tap into some advice here.

    Jonathan> boot cdrom

    Jonathan> Boot device: /sbsu/esp@example.com, 70000/sd@example.com,0:c File and args:
    Jonathan> SCSI device 6,0 is not responding Can't open boot
    Jonathan> device.

    Jonathan> The DIP switches on the drive are set for SCSI ID 6.
    Jonathan> But the plot thickens.  Typing probe-scsi gets me this:

    Jonathan> Target 1 Unit 0 Removable Read Only Device TOSHIBA
    Jonathan> CD-ROM XM-3401TA028301/28/93

    Jonathan> Target 3 Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST11200N
    Jonathan> SUN1.0595000085283Copyright (c) Seagate All rights
    Jonathan> reserved 0000

    Jonathan> Target 5 Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST1480 SUN04248628
    Jonathan> Copyright (c) 1992 Seaate All rights reserved 0000

    Jonathan> The report for the disks is consistent with the drive
    Jonathan> jumpers (both are internal disks), but the report for
    Jonathan> the CD-ROM drive is not.  Moreover, no matter what I do
    Jonathan> to the CD-ROM drives DIP switches, probe-scsi *always*
    Jonathan> reports it as above.  I opened up the CD-ROM drive to
    Jonathan> verify that the DIP switch cable was actually connected
    Jonathan> (it was), so I'm kind of at a loss here.

Can you try re-seating the cable? If it still does not work, you can
tell the sun to boot from a particular device. The device name is
terribly long, but tou should be able to say something like

boot /sbsu/esp@example.com,70000/sd@example.com,0:c

At least I think thats it. On a sun at work, I have it setup to boot
off an external disk, scsi-id 5. You use the "setenv" function in the
boot prom to set the "boot-device". Do a "printenv" find out current
settions.

My sun at work:

boot-device=/iommu@example.com,e0000000/sbus@example.com,e0001000/espdma@example.com,400000/esp@example.com,800000/sd@example.com,0:a
disk

Actually, I think that is much longer than it has to be. At home, I
boot off another controller, and the device spec is much shorter:

boot-device=/iommu/sbus/QLGC,isp@example.com,10000/sd@example.com,0:a

I'm sorry I can't tell more details on how these work. I got it to
work from following examples in the controller manual and a bit of
experimentation.

    Jonathan> Any ideas on what I need to do to make this work (maybe
    Jonathan> I just need a newer CD-ROM drive in SUN enclosure?) are
    Jonathan> appreciated.

Actually, you might be better off with an old Sun drive.

    Jonathan> Oh, one other thing: this CD-ROM drive is attached to
    Jonathan> the SS2 using a cable that is narrow at the SS2 end and
    Jonathan> wide at the CD-ROM drive end.  Is there any problem with
    Jonathan> this?

That should not be a problem in itself. However, it may be the the
drive is scsi-2,3. The SS2 is plain old scsi. I have not been able to
get scsi-2 devices to work with built in controllers on SS2's and
5's. The add-on controllers, such as the ethernet/scsi combination
controller, does work.

HTH,

	Andy
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691