Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:40:48 +0100 (MET)
From: Eric Meijer <tgakem@example.com>
To: ppa user list <ppa.users@example.com>
Subject: Re: Deskjet 720C discontinued

PPA Users Discussion - http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/

> I notice from HP's website that they are discontinuing the 720C
> model, and pointing people to the 880C model as a replacement.
> The web page for the 880C says that it uses PCL3 as its printer
> language, not the PPA.
>
> I see that the 1120C also uses PCL not PPA - I think the 1120 is
> another new model (A3).
>
> Does this mean that HP are moving away from the PPA generally?

This would actually be a good thing IMHO, an open printer language is
much nicer to develop software for.

> Will this affect future development of the pbm2ppa program?

I don't hope so, and I don't think so.  A lot of people bought such a
printer.  I don't know about you, but I do not intend to buy another one
the next five years, unless serious money excesses force me to get an A3
color laserjet :)

I have a deskjet 710C, which seems to be a newer model.  Is this model
also mentioned on the HP page?  The only difference I could find in the
specs with the 720C is the number of pages per minute.  Maybe the 710C
is taking the 720C's place in the lower end printers, where the 880C
fills the `high end' niche.

Eric Meijer

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691