Re: tlug: Freezing

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > I would argue that the reverse is true - it's nice being able to
> > load/unload on the fly and see what works.
>
> When one is damned certain that the problem lies in ether interface
> configuration, sure.
>
> With the boners that various distros have pulled (including TL, Scott --
> it's not immune) I would not blithely assume that anything works properly.

heh, I never assume that anything I make works properly until I've proven
that it does :)  I make a lot of mistakes - fortunately the General Public
never sees [most of] them :)

> > Besides, if it's compiled into the kernel and it's hanging the
> > system/freezing the system, you'll have a non-bootable system.. or is
> > that not the case here?  I'm jumping in several levels down in the
> > reply tree...
>
> *laugh* So who tries out a new kernel without rigging a way to revert?
> Surely not anyone _I_ know ;)

heh, lots of people I know do... I had a friend who was sysadminning at a
telemarketing company and called me up once and told me, "I recompiled the
kernel but I forgot my SCSI driver.  I forgot to put the old kernel in
lilo as linux-old, and the machine doesn't have any floppy drives, and I
can't use any of the other computers here until Monday..."

I think he ended up coming to my office and bringing the hard disk out of
the server with him, so that I could rescue it... :)

> > I've never had a problem with the 'ne' module using a PCI Ne2k card,
> > and I've never gotten one to work right with 'ne2k-pci'.  YMMV.
>
> It certainly does vary.  Depends on the kernel.  An argument can be made
> that PCI ne2k cards are bloody abortions that should never have hit the
> streets, but YMMV.

I've had good luck with them.  Sure, I still prefer an eepro100 any day,
but I'll take an NE2K PCI (or ISA for that matter) over a 3com any day.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691