Re: tlug: Freezing

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Renaud ITIER wrote:
>
> > -added the line in the conf.modules for alias eth0 ne2k-pci and eth1
> > ne2k-pci (tried without too)
>
> The drivers are modules as opposed to being compiled in the kernel?  I'd
> try putting them directly in the kernel -- removes one level of complexity
> while debugging.

I would argue that the reverse is true - it's nice being able to
load/unload on the fly and see what works.  Unless you have a machien that
does a REALLY fast kernel compile (my K6-350 does it in 4 minutes, but
that's still not as fast as a simple modprobe or insmod :) )

Besides, if it's compiled into the kernel and it's hanging the
system/freezing the system, you'll have a non-bootable system.. or is that
not the case here?  I'm jumping in several levels down in the reply
tree...

BUT, if it's compiled as a module, 'linux single' at the LILO prompt will
not start networking, and therefore not try to load the module, and so you
can boot the system and still be in business.

Anyhow, try the 'ne' module instead of 'ne2k-pci'.  I've never had a
problem with the 'ne' module using a PCI Ne2k card, and I've never gotten
one to work right with 'ne2k-pci'.  YMMV.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691