tlug: Kernel 2.2.0-pre8

    Neil> Has anyone tried out some of the most recent development
    Neil> kernels?

Yes; I agree with your observations in general.  Processor is Sparc
ELC with 40MB RAM.

    Neil> I'm having a few growing pains keeping 2.0.x bootable at the
    Neil> same time as this stuff on a new machine, having upgraded
    Neil> one or two of the programs I was told to. [...] I think this
    Neil> is all module-loading problems, despite the modutils docs
    Neil> claiming to be backwardly compatible with 2.0.x.

    Neil> Oddly, I've found that rebuilding one of the old kernels
    Neil> made it bootable again. Weird. I'll try the rest now.

The interactions between the modutils tree and the kernel tree are not
merely kernel->modutils; however I think the reverse dependency is
pretty much encapsulated in the ksyms program.  I don't find it
surprising that rebuilding the kernel makes it work.

    Neil> The strangest thing is that under 2.2.0-pre8, Windowmaker
    Neil> 0.20.2 seems to occupy 100% of CPU in half-second spurts
    Neil> every 2-3 seconds, making for average CPU usage of around
    Neil> 25%.

I can't verify this myself, but I've seen a similar report for some
of the IrDA stuff.  Rebuilding against the current kernel tree solved
that one according to the linux-IrDA list.  Sounds like Windowmaker
has some (IIRRC[1] far too many) Linux kernel dependencies.

Footnotes:
[1]  IIRRC = "if I recall rumor correctly" :-)

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691