Re: tlug: CD-R under Linux

Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> wrote:
>   On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, nivad wrote:
>
>   > Well it is great to know that someone is finally able to use CD-RW on
>   > linux!  I have a SCSI Omniwriter CD-RW (aka HP) and have occasionally
>   > checked for documentation on using it under linux.  If drivers have now
>   > been created for its use that will allow me to move some of the last few
>   > items over to my linux system.  The last one will be Net2Phone, and it
>   > should be quite a challenge (hopefully it will run on WINE).
>
>   cdrecord claims to support CDRW now.  I've never seen anything for Linux
>   that can use IDE CD writers, though - is there such a thing?

Yes, I am using cdrecord 1.6 to  write CD-RWs on the HP7200e connected
to the parallel port. The name "paride" of the Kernel drivers suggests
that theses parallel port things are sort of IDE devices.

But cdrecord treats it  as a sort  of SCSI device  (it is necessary to
make patch to cdrecord 1.6 and use the scsi-linux-pg.c from the paride
website instead of the scsi-linux-sg.c which comes with cdrecord).

Mike

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691