tlug: X config for laptops

I'm running X on a laptop.  When I move the display area in the pager,
I've noticed that the hardware sometimes gives off a barely perceptible
whine for an instant, until the display readjusts.  Is this a sign that
the monitor timings are incorrect?

I've heard that it's possible to break a monitor with incorrect timings
(okay, I confess that I DID break a monitor once in this way -- I couldn't
find a spec sheet on the thing and just, uh, guessed).  Is there a risk of
that happening on a laptop?

I don't think it's going to be relevant to the question, but the hardware
is a Sony VAIO 731 with the neomagic chipset, and I'm using the TL SVGA X
server with neomagic support.

Cheers,
--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691