Re: tlug: Can't telnet in...But machine is definitely on

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> Hello  All,
> 	I can't seem to telnet into my machine right now, and as i'm out of the
> country at the moment, I don't have the option of physically going to it to
> see what's wrong.
> 	It's still definitely on, because I can still see the web pages that the
> machine is serving via Netscape.
> 	I'm using telnet from MSDOS... every time i try to connect, it says:
> 	Connection to host lost
> 	I logged into another machine on the network using telnet, and then tried
> to rlogin to my machine, and it returned this message:
> 	rcmd: 202.238.0.248: Undefined error: 0
> 	Everything I know how to do with this machine rests on me at least being
> able to talk to it via telnet. How can i get it to talk to me? Or,
> conversely, can I get it to at least tell me why it won't talk to me?

sounds like inetd might have crashed.  the webserver usually runs
independent from inetd, so that's why it's not affected.  So does sshd,
incidentally, so if you have sshd running, you should be able to ssh into
it (if it is, in fact, an inetd problem to begin with).

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691