Re: tlug: Acrobat reader and libXt

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> That's admittedly worse than requiring the user to be "smart" enough
> to put `export LD_PRELOAD=..." into .bashrc ;-) but it's certainly
> possible to hang yourself by doing the latter.

Doing this sort of thing completely defeats the purpose of LD_PRELOAD.

It's there to help old binaries work with new binaries.  I used it to keep
an old Motif library from dying because it couldn't find _Xsetlocale when
glibc got decent locale code (yes, I was using a libc5 shared object with
glibc -- don't try this at home, folks).

The canonical use is "LD_PRELOAD=blah /usr/local/bin/blah" -- it's
designed to be a case-by-case thing.

> BTW, when did the `--library-path' option get added to GNU ld.so?

I think it's been there for some time.  At least a year.

> ... wonder if ASH coulda saved himself with `LD_PRELOAD="" mv ...'?

*chuckle* Probably.

> They don't have the resources to deal with something like the
> glibc/X11-compat issue, except by accident.

I was planning on saying something nasty here, but I'll refrain.  Those
who know me know what I was going to say anyway ;)

-- Chris

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691