Re: tlug: 2.2.0-pre? kernels on Sparc

    Jim> On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 05:54:07PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> Is anybody who has built a Linus-series 2.2.0-pre? kernel on
    >> the Sparc willing to offer advice on this?

Having got as far as I have, I must say that I'm very impressed with
the quality of the 2.2.0-pre5 kernel snapshot, egcs-1.1.1 release, and
glibc-2.0.105 (pre-2.1) snapshot; they build with very few compiler
warnings and only a couple of fatal errors, about half induced by
pilot error.  I don't recommend diving into this stuff though unless
you want to spend a fair amount of time learning about modern compiler
and operating systems---the key hints I've had in undoing my own
stupidity have come from random sections of the various manuals,
typically apparently completely irrelevant stuff like how to build
cross-compilers.

On the other hand, it's been very educational, and if you've got the
time and desire I recommend it.

I think it's probably easier on the i386 platform.

    Jim> David Miller has released a patch file that will allow you to
    Jim> build 2.2.0-pre7:
    Jim> ftp.jp.kernel.org:/Linux/kernel/people/davem/sparc-2.2.0pre7.diff

Thanks; I'll take a look.  I'm currently running 2.2.0-pre5 with no
non-Linus patches :-)  Had to do that in order to use the brand new
glibc-2.0.105 which was built against those headers.  The console is
weird but otherwise things seem to be working well.

Next step, rebuild egcs against the new glibc and the new glibc with
the new egcs.  That'll take about a week of running time ;-)  In the
meantime I'll drag my laptop to work and back where I can download a
few MB and get caught up to the current snapshots.

It's distressing to think that my pet Sparc can't compile a new glibc
as fast as they can release the next snapshot.  At least he's keeping
up with the public releases of the kernel still %-P

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.