Re: tlug: Can't telnet in...But machine is definitely on- the plot thickens (crackers)

First off, big thanks to Jim Tittsler for getting back in touch with me
directly about the telnet problem I've been having. I really appreciate
your dialogue on the matter.
However, I can't say too much about what exactly the solution is, yet,
because the situation has not yet been resolved. But I do know more about
the problem.
Almost simultaniously with the time i discovered the telnet problem, i
started getting e-mails from guys in Germany asking why I was accessing
their networks. I never did such a thing, so i took the log files they gave
me and went to a UNIX guru I know, and he helped me to deduce that my
system has been compromised by some hacker (cracker?) who exploited either
imap or sunrpc (which i didn't know i was running - BIG mistake) to gain
access to my machine and was in turn using similar techniques to get into
other peoples machines.
What a headache. I had to write a lot of apologetic e-mails to sysadmins
mainly in Germany explaining my dilema. I should mention that none of them
were at all hostile to me, all were understanding and one in particular was
very friendly and helpful.
So whatever this hacker/cracker/completebastard/whoever has done to my
machine has left it impossible for me to gain access. I'm pretty sure it's
something the hacker did because the timing is much too coincidental for me
to believe otherwise. I wasn't doing anything to the hosts.deny or
hosts.allow files recently. However, I think that I can't be dealing with
too clever a hacker, because I would think that the most intelligent way of
getting into a system would be to leave as little trace as possible.
Screwing the system totally so that I was alerted pretty much immediately
makes me think that this person some kind of amateur who probably learned a
trick or two from some web page.
As it is, the machine has been turned off for a while (though i think it
may be on again now), but nothing will be learned about what exactly this
loser has done until I'm back in town next week to actually sit in front of
the machine and fiddle with it directly.

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.