Re: tlug: Emacs these days

    Peter> Your message dated: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:30:26 +0900
    >>
    >> How does this work? I've done a similar thing with Xnest, but
    >> I've never run several actual X servers?

    Peter> I've not heard of Xnest. What I have been doing is this:

    Peter> - Login at console and run `startx' as usual - Go to a free
    Peter> virtual terminal (CTRL+ALT+F2 ?) and log in.  - Start an
    Peter> Xserver querying another machine:

    Peter>     % X -once -query <host> :1

    Peter>   The :1 says which display number to use, the previous
    Peter> startx will have taken :0 so we use :1. If you want to pop
    Peter> up a window in the second desktop, use "<yourhost>:1" as
    Peter> the display variable.

Peter,

	Xnest works in a similar way, in that you can say display on
host:1 etc. With Xnest, you can do stuff like:

	Solaris 2.5.1       Linux x86	SparcTerm IPX

host     Zoomer             Chibi       Piglet

         DISPLAY=chibi:1 --->
                            DISPLAY=piglet:0
	                    Xnest ----->

So on piglet I get an Xnest window, which gives my the CDE login from
Zoomer. Xnest acts like a server to Zoomer, and is just another client
app displaying on Piglet. When I fire up a dtterm on Zoomer, it
displays to chibi:1, which is really just Xnest. Xnest updates its
"display", which is just a big window on Piglet.

Why would I do such a thing? Well, Zoomer and piglet were on different
networks, with no routing between them. One thing I new did sort out
completely was fonts, everyone needs to see the same fonts. I'm pretty
sure that its fixable, I just never bothered. Bear in mind that this
is not most network friendly thing to do, but it does work!

Regards,

	Andy
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.