Re: tlug: Emacs these days

Your message dated: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:45:14 +0900

[snip]

> Three `X'?  This looks like you got two zombies eating your
> memory (and CPU).  If I assume, the one with PID 27439 is
> the X server that you are actually using, then we have 35MB
> memory for Emacs, X, and Netscape, which is bound to lead to
> quite some swapping when you change between Netscape and
> Emacs.  With two rogue X servers hanging around, the fact
> that you can still work on the machine shows that Linux is
> quite good at handling virtual memory.

[snip]

> You seem to use Emacs quite heavily, 16MB are usually enough
> for my XEmacs and I am living in that thing.  Anyhow, after
> you got rid of the two rogue X, things will probably get
> much better.

I use three X servers quite often. That way I can use the
desktop of a machine running XDM in the noisy machine room
without having to go there, they can be switched between
with a key press.

As for Emacs, on monitoring the virtual memory usage, it looks
like the right thing to do is to go out and buy more memory.

pete.

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.